Published on February 27th, 2013 | by Dan Walsh4
Makers: The New Industrial Revolution
Welcome to the first ever Tangents & Distractions monthly bookclub!
I read a lot of books – one or two a week – and I love sharing the good ones with friends. Since we’re all friends here, I thought we could get on the same page (pun intended) and have an epic book club once a month. As a little incentive to join in, I’m giving out three copies of this month’s chosen book. More on that at the end of the post.
I can’t guarantee that every book will be an instant favorite, but I’m really excited to hear everyone’s opinions.
Our first book will be Makers: The New Industrial Revolution, by Chris Anderson.
Wired magazine editor and bestselling author Chris Anderson takes you to the front lines of a new industrial revolution as today’s entrepreneurs, using open source design and 3-D printing, bring manufacturing to the desktop. In an age of custom-fabricated, do-it-yourself product design and creation, the collective potential of a million garage tinkerers and enthusiasts is about to be unleashed, driving a resurgence of American manufacturing. A generation of “Makers” using the Web’s innovation model will help drive the next big wave in the global economy, as the new technologies of digital design and rapid prototyping gives everyone the power to invent — creating “the long tail of things”.
If the topics in this book aren’t really for you, don’t worry! I promise the book selections will cover an eclectic mix of interesting topics across both fiction and non-fiction. There should be something for everyone, though not necessarily every month. The beautiful thing about an online book club is that there’s no pressure to read something if you don’t want to! No pressure, just join us when you’re interested.
Get the Book!
Get the Book: Makers: The New Industrial Revolution, by Chris Anderson
Like I said, I love sharing books with friends, so I’m giving away three (3) copies of Makers: The New Industrial Revolution. I’m not above a little shameless promotion though, so you will have to work for it. Don’t worry, it won’t be tough, and you have three chances to snag a free copy.
- Get the discussion started by leaving a comment on this page. I’ll chose one at random as the winner. Bonus points for wit.
- Retweet a link to this page. You can use this one: http://su.pr/1EpNeP or make your own. Don’t worry about hash tags, but do make sure to include me (@dpwalsh) on the tweet so I can count your entry.
- Forward a copy of the Tangents & Distractions March email newsletter to at least 5 other friends. Make sure to BCC dan[at]tangentsanddistractions.com so I know to count you. If you haven’t received the T&D newsletter, get on the mailing list by signing up via the form at the top right of this page (black box, yellow button).
*Domestic US shipping only. Sorry my international friends.
1. Jeffrey Cufaude for his witty rhyming skills.
2. Tati Kzk for the retweet. Thank you very much!
3. Dan Rabin for email shout outs.
Winners, please email me at dan[at]tangentsanddistractions.com with your mailing address and I’ll ship out your copy lickity split!
Bookclub Discussion Details
Date: Saturday April 6th, 2013
Time: 9am Pacific
Where: Ustream link will be sent via Twitter on the morning of the 6th. (Make sure to follow me: @dpwalsh)